Category Archives: botanicals
Marula is a traditional food plant in Africa. This little-known fruit has the potential to improve nutrition, boost food security, foster rural development and support sustainable land care. Marula oil, made from the seed kernel, can be used as a type of skin care oil. It contains antioxidants and oleaic acid.
African Potato balances the immune system and keeps it regulated. It is an African root, much like a potato or a turnip plant. Inedible as a vegetable, it has been used traditionally in Africa to keep away colds and fight infections. It is currently being used to treat AIDS patients, whose immunity is severely compromised.
Organically grown by Africology on our farm in Knysna.
Aloe Vera is a valuable plant high in nutritional value, and rich in healing compounds and minerals, amino acids, lipids, enzymes and mono saccharides. Traditional healers apply aloe juice to wounds, and it is also used internally as a general tonic. All over the world aloe extract is gaining popularity for its benefits in the treatment of burns, bites, eczema, dermatitis, acne and psoriasis.
Rooibos tea extract is known in South Africa for its soothing effect on the skin. It is anti-ageing, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, promotes healthy skin, and relieves skin irritations such as acne and eczema. Rooibos is a very effective natural antioxidant and contains a wide variety of minerals such as:
- Calcium: Essential for transporting nerve impulses, proper utilization of Vitamin C, reducing cavities and strengthening bones.
- Copper: For the effective absorption and utilization of iron. Helps Vitamin C oxidize to form elastin (compound of muscle fibre).
- Iron (Fe): Essential for normal production of energy and brain function. An important factor for stress and disease resistance.
- Magnesium: Calms the nervous system. Helps carbohydrates to be assimilated instead of stored as fat. Needed for the absorption of calcium.
- Manganese: Essential for normal reproduction function and building resistance to disease.
- Potassium: Normalizes heart rate and blood pressure, nourishes muscles and assists kidney function.
- Sodium: Regulates the volume of body fluids. Necessary for nerve and muscle function
- Zinc: Aids in the digestion of proteins and carbohydrates. Assists in the healing of burns and wounds.