Category Archives: safety in skin care
Product packaging plays an important role in health care, glass being the safest, and aluminium containers being amongst the most toxic.
Chemicals common to skincare products can cause inflammation, free radical damage and distortions in acid/alkaline balance. Chemicals also disrupt the biochemical and energetic order of the skin. A vast majority of diseases occur because of the build-up of toxicity. When this happens, it can be expressed as acne or premature aging.
The No- No’s of Africology
Here at Africology we want to instil in the consumer a culture of personal empowerment — teaching you, the consumer, to read your cosmetic ingredient labels and become more aware of the products that might be a cocktail of toxins causing cancer from years of sustained use.
- SODIUM LAURETH SULPHATE- chemical foaming agent
- PARABENS A causative factor in male fertility problems, cancer, immunotoxicity and allergies. See Cosmetic Data Base for Propylparaben Methlyparaben, Butylparaben and more
- DEA- diethanolamine/ MEA monoethanolamine, and TEA- triethanolamine: These are hormone disrupting chemicals which can form carcinogenic nitrates and nitrosamines. Currently in the process of being restricted in the UK.
- ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL SD-40 A drying & irritating solvent which disrupts your skin’s immune protective barrier, making it more vulnerable to invasion by microbes and to penetration by other destructive chemicals. SD-40 promotes the formation of irregular pigmentation and age spots as well.
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL A drying agent, can cause cancer: see skin deep
- DMDM Hydantoin- Imidazolidinyl These chemicals can release formaldehyde into the body, triggering skin reactions, allergies, joint pain, dizziness and low immunity. Formaldehyde undermines the life processes of the living matrix. Morticians use it to embalm dead bodies. See skin deep
- EDTA and disodium EDTA. They have shown to accelerate the formation of hydroxy radicals which damage cell membranes and trigger degenerative changes in the cells. FAST TRACK TO RAPID AGEING. See skin deep
- Formaldehyde Releasers IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA and DMDM HYDANTOIN.
- PHENOXYETHANOL Often used instead of a Paraben be aware of marketing that says ‘Paraben Free’ as it most likely has this as a replacement. Follow this link on skin Deep to see the Safety Data sheet for this ingredient. Be especially wary of this in a baby range.
- METHYCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE & METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE The isothiazolinones are some of the most potent allergens on the consumer market.This preservative was responsible for the epidemic of contact sensitivity in the 80′s and 90′s, problems which occured mostly when the ingredient was used in’ leave-on products’. See Skin Deep